• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Best way to prepare for Exam if school has not properly prepared you?

Nicole.b

Hello, I'm scheduled to take the exam on June 8, I've been out of school since Feb. and have picked up my books a few times. I also purchased the exam package from CCO and yet to take it. I don't feel the school really prepared myself and my class for this exam and I'm wondering what your advice would be to get myself most prepared for this exam to pass. I don't work at this time and on a very strict budget and unable to purchase the Blitz videos. Is there another suggestion to prepare and pass this exam?

jessicat35

CPC, CCS-P
Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hey Nicole! I feel your pain. I got out of school last year and felt very rusty so I got the blitz videos and have the AAPC study guide. I am taking my test for the first time on June 7th. I just took the practice exam offered from CCO last weekend to get a baseline of where I am at. I'm about halfway thru the study guide and 3/4 of the way thru the blitz videos. I passed (75%) which is good but I plan on fake retesting in 4 weeks (about 2 weeks before the actual exam) in the hopes that I will have brought up my grade. I am a big fan of the blitz videos. They were a lil expensive but they have been worth their weight in gold! I find I have a much better understanding of the CPT book now than I ever did in class and I was the top student in my course! So, my best advice would be find a way to do the blitz. In lieu of that, start taking practice exams now to get an idea of where your at. They come with the rationales which are educational all on their own. General advice I was given was to keep studying until I can get an 85% or better on the practice exams consistently. Also, CCO has tons of videos on Youtube for free. Best of luck!

suziewall

Hello, I'm scheduled to take the exam on June 8, I've been out of school since Feb. and have picked up my books a few times. I also purchased the exam package from CCO and yet to take it. I don't feel the school really prepared myself and my class for this exam and I'm wondering what your advice would be to get myself most prepared for this exam to pass. I don't work at this time and on a very strict budget and unable to purchase the Blitz videos. Is there another suggestion to prepare and pass this exam?
Hey guys,
I feel your pain as I am completing my Externship and will taking the test in aug, what has helped me gain confidence, is first Laureens bubble and highlight your cpt, underline key differences, with/ without, including, except, and parenthetical notes. On the guideline pages before sections remind yourself of hcpcs or modifiers that might apply, you can web search quizlet to test your medical terminology, or "whackabone" to refresh your anatomy, I had to beg borrow (not so much steal) to get my blitz and it's worth it's weight in gold!! I will be ordering the practice test, next month. Go to you old instructor see if they offer a boot camp, or moc exam, or can provide you any practice test questions. Spend the next month reading your cpt guidlines, tabbing your books, Laureen has graciously provided free e&m guides, and also a great one for modifiers. If you have the time, I would spend a couple hours a day in your books until your test, and hey go to the free webinars laureen puts on you might just win the blitz! Ther is one tonight at 8 est. good luck!

LyndaH

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I highly recommend getting all three practice exams from the AAPC (completely worth it). They are timed and you can watch your time and keep doing them over and over until you feel you've got it. It helps with time management. They give you the rationales if you answer wrong which helps a lot. Good luck to you all! :)

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
I absolutely agree with LindaH, I purchased many practice exams and none were as accurate as the AAPC...So glad that I invested on it because it was the only exam that closely macked the real thing....HIGHLY RECOMENDED. Also the Cutting Edge magazine has excellent articles that can enhance our knowledge an you can text yourself after each issue. try!